Late goal blitz seals Tottenham FA Cup progress after Wycombe rout

Tottenham left it late before sealing a trip to Everton in the FA Cup as they beat Wycombe 4-1 in the fourth round on Monday night.

The home side took a shock lead through Fred Onyedinma before Gareth Bale levelled matters just before the break.

Spurs dominated the second period but left it until the 86th minute before taking the lead through Harry Winks, while Tanguy Ndombele netted a late double to secure a trip to Goodison Park next month.

Jose Mourinho named Bale in his starting line-up for the game at Adams Park.

The Wales skipper had not started since the Carabao Cup quarter-final against Stoke after a calf injury.

It was a strong line-up named by boss Mourinho, though big hitters Harry Kane, Son Heung-min and Ndombele were all named on the bench.

Wycombe named nine players in their team that started their last game on January 9 before a recent coronavirus outbreak.

Spurs fluffed two good chances to open the scoring through Bale. But they fell behind in the 25th minute.

Uche Ikpeazu’s cross was not cleared by Davinson Sanchez and it fell to Onyedinma, who fired past a diving Joe Hart.

Spurs were racking up the chances to equalise, with Moussa Sissoko and Japhet Tanganga hitting the woodwork.

The leveller finally came in first-half stoppage time as Bale hooked home Lucas Moura’s cross to make it 1-1 at the break.

Mourinho made a change at the break, bringing on Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg for Tanganga – with Sissoko moving to right-back.

And Spurs were on the front foot from the off, with Erik Lamela and Lucas Moura both driving efforts wide.

Bale then flashed an effort across goal, before Lamela forced Ryan Allsop into a smart stop in the home goal.

Tottenham subs make the difference

Mourinho was taking no chances with the threat of extra-time, as he introduced Kane from the bench just before the hour-mark – with Son and Ndombele coming on 10 minutes later.

Kane saw a scrambled effort cleared off the line, while Son beat his marker on the left before flashing an effort across goal.

Son then fired over the bar from 10 yards, when it looked easier to score, as Tottenham’s frustrations grew.

But the goal finally came with four minutes to go when Kane’s shot was well saved but only cleared to the edge of the box, where Winks curled home a fine effort from 20 yards.

And it was three moments later when Son teed-up Ndombele to sidefoot home, before the latter produced a brilliant piece of skill in netting his second in stoppage time to seal a trip to Everton in round five.


Related Articles

Back to top button